Parents' Learning Allowance
You can apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) to cover some of the extra costs you might have if you’re an undergraduate student who has children.
How much you get depends on your household income. You do not have to pay it back.
How much you get will depend on your household income, you dependants’ income and whether or not you have a partner. If you’re a part-time student, your Parents’ Learning Allowance will be calculated based on your study intensity.
2022 to 2023 academic year
You can get between £51 and £1,862 a year.
2021 to 2022 academic year
You can get between £50 and £1,821 a year.
You can apply for PLA if you:
- have at least one child who depends on you financially
- are attending a full-time or part-time course and getting undergraduate student finance that depends on your household income
You do not need to be paying for childcare to qualify.
You cannot apply if you:
- are studying on a distance learning course, unless you’re studying on a distance learning course due to a disability
How to apply
You can apply online as part of your main student finance application.
If you’ve already sent us your application for student finance without filling in the section for dependants’ grants, you’ll need to submit an application form instead:
Sending us evidence
You need to provide evidence of your children. You need to submit a copy of one of the following:
- birth certificate for each child
- certificate of naturalisation for each child
- Home Office document confirming each child’s name and date of birth
You also need to prove your children are dependent on you. You need to submit a copy of one of the following:
- your most recent Tax Credits Award Notice naming all your children
- your most recent Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children
- all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all your children
For more information on sending us evidence, check out our dedicated evidence guidance page.
We’ll pay your money into your bank account, usually 3 times a year at the start of each term.
For more information on getting paid, check out our dedicated payment guidance page.