Stage 1: Before you apply
Full-time undergraduate, Welsh students

Adult Dependants' Grant

You can apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) to cover some of the extra costs you might have if you’re an undergraduate student with an adult who depends on you financially.

How much you get depends on your household income. You do not have to pay it back.

What’s available

How much you get will depend on your household income, you dependants’ income and whether or not you have a partner. If you’re a part-time student, your ADG will be calculated based on your study intensity.

2022 to 2023 academic year

You can get up to £3,262 a year.

2021 to 2022 academic year

You can get up to £3,190 a year.

Who qualifies

You can apply for ADG if you:

  • have an adult who depends on you financially
  • are attending a full-time or part-time course and getting undergraduate student finance that depends on your household income
  • are over 25 years old or are considered as independent
  • started a course on or after 1 August 2018, are under 25 years old on the first day of the first academic year of your course, considered as independent and living with a partner who depends on you financially

You cannot apply if you:

  • are studying on a distance learning course, unless you're studying on a distance learning course due to a disability
  • are applying for a child
  • are applying for your own grown-up child
  • are applying for somebody who is already getting student finance

You will not qualify if the adult who depends on you financially has an income of more than £3,923 a year, unless they are your husband, wife or partner.

How to apply

You can apply online as part of your main student finance application.

If you’ve already sent us your application for student finance without filling in the section for dependants’ grants, you’ll need to submit an application form instead:

Sending us evidence

You need to submit evidence of your adult dependant. You should submit a copy of:

  • a letter explaining why they are dependent on you
  • a P60 showing their income
  • your marriage certificate, if you’re under 25 and claiming for your husband or wife

For more information on sending us evidence, check out our dedicated evidence guidance page.

Getting paid

We’ll pay your money into your bank account, usually 3 times a year at the start of each term.

For more information on getting paid, check out our dedicated payment guidance page.