Stage 1: Before you apply
Full-time undergraduate, tuition fee and living cost students

Adult Dependants' Grant

You can apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) to cover some of the extra costs you might have if you’re an undergraduate student with an adult who depends on you financially.

What’s available

How much you get will depend on your household income, your dependants’ income and whether or not you have a partner. If you’re a part-time student, your ADG will be calculated based on your study intensity.

Your grant doesn't need to be paid back.

2024 to 2025 academic year

You can get up to £3,353 a year.

2023 to 2024 academic year

You can get up to £3,322 a year.

Who qualifies

You can apply for ADG if you:

  • have an adult who depends on you financially
  • are attending a full-time or part-time course (including a distance learning course) and getting undergraduate student finance that depends on your household income
  • are over 25 years old or are considered as independent
  • started a course on or after 1 August 2018, are under 25 years old on the first day of the first academic year of your course, considered as independent and living with a partner who depends on you financially.

You can't apply if you:

  • are applying for a child
  • are applying for your own grown-up child
  • are applying for somebody who is already getting student finance.

You won't qualify if the adult who depends on you financially has an income of more than £3,923 a year, unless they are your husband, wife or partner.

How to apply

You can apply online (opens in a new tab) as part of your main student finance application.

If you’ve already sent us your application for student finance without filling in the section for dependants’ grants, you’ll need to submit an application form instead:

Sending us evidence

You need to submit evidence of your adult dependant. You should submit a copy of:

  • a letter explaining why they are dependent on you
  • a P60 showing their income
  • your marriage certificate, if you’re under 25 and claiming for your husband or wife.

For more information on sending us evidence, check out our evidence guidance page.

Getting paid

We’ll pay your money into your bank account, usually 3 times a year at the start of each term.

For more information on getting paid, check out our payment guidance page.