Discover student finance

It’s time to apply for student finance!

All undergraduate and postgraduate student finance applications for the 2024 to 2025 academic year are now open for new and continuing students.

Apply now! (opens in a new tab)

If you qualify for tuition fee only funding, you should apply using the Tuition Fee Loan application form.

You can apply and manage your student finance account in Welsh as well as English.

New full-time undergraduate students

You may have missed the deadline of 31 May 2024, but you can still apply for student finance.

Apply now to get some money in time for the start of your course.

It’s quick and easy to apply online – it only takes around 30 minutes to apply with your:

  • passport details
  • National Insurance number
  • bank details

If you can’t find your National Insurance number, you can find it easily in the HMRC app (opens in a new tab).

You don’t need a confirmed place at uni or college to apply – simply apply now with your preferred choice and update your details later if you need to.

If you decide not to go to uni or college this year, you can cancel your application online, so don’t wait to apply!

Who can get student finance

You should be able to get funding from Student Finance Wales if:

  • you’re a UK national or you have settled or pre-settled status in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • you normally live in Wales
  • you’ve lived in the UK for 3 years before starting your course
  • you’ll be studying an eligible higher education course at a UK college or university
  • you don't already have a higher education qualification

For more information about the rules on whether funding is available to you and the course you plan to study visit our who qualifies page.

What’s available

During the academic year, most students will have two costs to cover: tuition fees and living costs. We’re here to help with both!

  • Tuition Fee Loan – up to £9,250 (for undergraduate students)

You could get help with living costs which is made up of a mixture of:

  • Maintenance Loan (for undergraduate students)
  • Maintenance Grant – you don’t need to repay this (for undergraduate students)

To find out what funding you're entitled to based on your household income, visit our what's available page.

If you're an independent student or estranged from your parents, find out what you need to do.

You can get extra support from Student Finance Wales if you have children or an adult who is financially dependent on you. There’s also extra help available for students with a disability or long-term health condition.

Continuing full-time undergraduate students

It’s quick and easy to re-apply for your funding. All you need to do is:

  1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Select ‘undergraduate student finance applications’.
  3. Click ‘re-apply now’.
  4. Click ‘Re-apply or start another application’.
  5. Complete your application and hit submit!

You should re-apply by 28 June 2024 to make sure you get your money on time for your next year starting. If you apply late, your money might be late too!

Repaying your student loan

You won’t start repaying your student loan until the April after you’ve finished or left your course and you’re earning over the repayment threshold, which is currently £524 a week, £2,274 a month or £27,295 a year.

How much you repay is based on how much you earn, not how much you’ve borrowed.

Visit our repaying your student loan page for more information.

Are you a parent or partner?

Once your child or partner has applied for student finance, we’ll send you an email to support their application.

If you choose to give us details of your household income they can get as much grant as possible instead of loan. Visit our parents and partners page for more information.

You need to give us your household income details each year of the students’ course.

Postgraduate students

Postgraduate students can find out what’s available and get lots of important information on our dedicated pages:

Keep an eye on our Facebook (opens in a new tab) and Twitter (opens in a new tab) for updates.