Tuition Fee Loan

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to help cover the costs of the tuition fees charged by your university or college.

If you’ve been accepted on the Erasmus exchange program, you won’t be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan.

How much can you get?

You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 25% to get a Tuition Fee Loan.

Your study locationTuition Fee Loan available in 2018/19

If you're at a Welsh university or college or studying at the Open University


If you're at a UK university or college outside Wales


If you're at a privately funded UK university or college outside Wales


If the tuition fee charged by your university or college is more than the Tuition Fee Loan available, then you’ll have to fund the difference yourself (this may be the case for a privately funded university or college).

How's it paid?

We pay the Tuition Fee Loan directly to your university or college in three instalments within the academic year. We make the payments after we receive confirmation from your university or college that you’re in attendance on your course.

Repaying your loan

You must repay your Tuition Fee Loan including any interest. Interest is added to your loan balance from the day the first loan payment is made to your university or college.

You can get more information on the repayment of your student loan and what interest you’ll be charged by visiting our Repayment Quick Start Guide

Anything else you should know?

The amount of Tuition Fee Loan you can get doesn’t depend on your household income.

If you withdraw from university or college after attending on the first day of term, you may be liable to pay some of your fees. If you need to discuss this further, contact your university or college.

Find out How and when to apply

^ Back to top