Image of: male students at booth

Tuition fee support

Information about the student finance available to new students starting a course in 2017/18 is also available.

You can apply for help to pay for the tuition fees charged by your university or college.

Support available in 2018/19

Maximum you can be chargedTuition Fee Loan available
Studying at a public university or college in Wales £9,000 £9,000
Studying at a public university or college in England, Northern Ireland or Scotland £9,250 £9,250
Studying at a private university or college in the UK on a course designated by the Welsh Government No restrictions £6,165

There are no restictions on how much private universities or college in the UK can charge for fees.

Interest on your Tuition Fee Loan

You’ll be charged interest on your Tuition Fee Loan from the first day the money is paid to your university or college until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled.

You can find out what interest you’ll be charged by visiting our Repayment Quick Start Guide

How is it paid?

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college.

Anything else you should know?

The Tuition Fee Loan isn't income assessed, which means that your entitlement doesn’t depend on your household income.

If you withdraw from university or college after attending on the first day of term, you may be liable to pay some of your fees. If you need to discuss this further, contact your university or college.

If you have served four years or more in the armed forces and are leaving, you may be eligible for fee support under the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme. For further information visit

Tution Fee Loan Request Form

If you've already applied for student finance, the quickest and easiest way to change the amount of Tuition Fee Loan you want to borrow is to log in to your online account

Alternatively you can complete and return this form.

^ Back to top