Image of: male student

Previous Study Rules

If you’ve studied before and have an Honours degree from a UK university or college then:

  • you may not be eligible for any support; or
  • your entitlement may be limited to certain years.

To understand how this impacts you, the general rule is that you’re eligible for student support for the length of your higher education course plus one year where a qualification is not achieved. However, the support will be reduced by the number of years you have previously studied.

This is shown in the formula below:

Duration of new course + 1 year- previous course = x years

For example:

Jane started a full-time course in academic year 2013/14 but only completed 2 years of study. She now wishes to return to full-time study. Her new course is 3 years long.

Duration of Jane’s new course (3) +1 year- Jane’s previous study (2) = 2 years

This means that Jane can receive 2 years of funding for her new higher education course. She will need to fund one year herself.

As funding is awarded in the final year of a new course and each preceding year that is funded, Jane will need to self-fund the first year of her course. This means she wouldn’t be able to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan or a Welsh Government Learning Grant/Special Support Grant; she would, however, still be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants such as Disabled Students' Allowances in her self-funded year.

Previous study and self-support

If you didn’t apply for student finance for your previous higher education course, or your household income was too high for you to get student finance this will still count as previous study. This is because your course would have still received public funding even if you never received any student finance yourself.

Compelling personal reasons

If you didn’t complete your previous course and you have compelling personal reasons, then you could be entitled to further funding on these grounds. You must provide evidence of this.

Depending on your circumstances this may be:

  • medical evidence from your GP;
  • evidence from Social Services; or
  • evidence from the student advisory service at your university or college that substantiates your personal or family crisis.

Your compelling reasons will be considered carefully before a decision is made about your entitlement.

^ Back to top