Financial Hardship

Our contact centres have partially re-opened

Following a temporary closure to help our staff adapt to new ways of working, we’re glad to inform you that our customer contact centres have partially re-opened. However, we expect our telephone lines to be very busy as we have a reduced number of staff available. We’ll continue working to restore more of our services over the coming weeks.

You can visit our Contact us page for information on telephone numbers and opening times. Before you call you should read our Frequently Asked Questions for prospective studentscurrent students and repayment customers. You can also contact us on Twitter and Facebook.

What to do if you’re in financial hardship

If you’re in financial hardship because you’ve been paid too much loan or grant and your student finance has been reduced, you should seek help as soon as possible. In some circumstances, we may be able to work out a more affordable way for you to pay back the amount you were overpaid, instead of having to repay it all at once.

You might want to speak to your university or college about your circumstances. They can offer help and advice with any financial or personal problems. They may also be able to direct you to other people or organisations that can help.

Let us know as soon as you can if you’re in financial hardship. You should contact us on 0300 200 4050.
We’ll send you a ‘Financial Hardship Confirmation’ form to complete and return to us at the address on the form. Your university or college can also request the form for you and should be able to help you fill it in.

On the form you’ll give us details of your income and any financial outgoings. It might be helpful to find this information before you start filling it in. You’ll also need to send us some documents with the form, including bank statements for all of your bank accounts.

We look at every application on an individual basis.

We know this can be a difficult time and we’ll try to assess your application for hardship within 2-3 weeks.

If you need any impartial advice, you should visit

^ Back to top