Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or specific learning difficulty. DSAs are grants to help pay the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability. You must meet the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

How much can you get

The maximum DSAs available for postgraduate students is a single allowance of £20,580 per year. You don’t have to apply for Postgraduate Master's Finance to receive this additional support.

How to apply

Step 1 – Tell us about your disability

Fill in the Disabled Students’ Allowances Application Form and return it to us.

Step 2 – Student Finance Wales (SFW) will assess your application

If you qualify for DSAs we will send you a letter to let you know. You’ll then need to arrange a needs assessment.

If you’re applying for DSAs for the first time you’ll need to arrange a needs assessment. If you’ve previously received DSAs then we’ll revise your current support or in some circumstances request that you have a new needs assessment.

Step 3 – Attend a needs assessment (if required).

If you’re required to attend a needs assessment you’ll then receive a report outlining the equipment you’ll need, how much it costs and where to get it.

Find a DSA Assessment Centre near you.

Step 4 - Student Finance Wales will send you a letter to let you know what DSAs you can get.

It’s at this stage you’ll receive a letter from SFW advising if DSAs can pay for any specialist equipment and other support recommended in your needs assessment report. We’ll also give you instructions for ordering equipment or arranging other support.

DSA Forms

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances by completing a DSA1 Form. The guidance notes provide extra information you need to help you complete the form.

Courses that start on or after 1 August 2020

Courses that start between 1 August 2019 and 31 July 2020


For more information, download the Disabled Students’ Allowances guide:

You won’t be able to get Dependants’ Grants, such as Adult Dependants’ Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant.

^ Back to top