Stage 2: Making an application
Postgraduate Master's courses

Proving your household income

This information is for students who started their course on or before 31 July 2024.

If you’re applying for student finance that depends on your household income, we’ll use it to work out how much student finance you can get.

Your household income is:

  • your parents’ income, if you’re under 25
  • the income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25
  • your partner’s income, if you’re 25 or over, or you’re classed as independent
  • your spouse’s income, if you’re married
  • income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent

Your parents or partner will need to give us their income details on a ‘PGPFF form (Download PDF 379KB, opens in a new tab)’, They should not send us a P60 instead of giving us their income details. If they provide evidence we haven’t asked for, it could delay the application and you may not get your money in time for starting your course.

If you’re under 25 and have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years or had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an independent student.