Childcare Grant - 2020 to 2021

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive extra help towards the cost of registered or approved childcare.

Childcare Grant (CCG) helps with childcare costs if you have dependent children aged under 15 (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare.

COVID-19 update

If you’re having to study online from home in 2020 to 2021 rather than attending your course on campus at your university or college, you’ll still be entitled to any Dependants’ Grants you qualify for.

How much can you get?

The maximum Childcare Grant available will be up to 85% of your actual costs, based on your course intensity.

Course intensity Maximum Childcare Grant if you have one child (per week) Maximum Childcare Grant if you have more than one child (per week)
50%-59% £87.11 £149.35
60%-74% £104.54 £179.22

75% or more

£130.67 £224.02


Example 1 - Weekly childcare cost per week for 1 child - £90

85% of actual childcare costs is £76.50

Entitlement based on course intensity Amount
50%-59% £38.25
60%-74% £45.90
75% or more £57.38

Example 2 - Weekly childcare costs per week for 2 children - £220

85% of actual childcare costs is £187

Entitlement based on course intensity Amount
50%-59% £93.50
60%-74% £112.20
75% or more £140.25

When you apply, if you’re unable to provide details of your childcare provider, your Childcare Grant will be capped at the following level:

Course intensity Childcare Grant cap
50%-59% £67.35
60%-74% £80.82
75% or more £101.03

We’ll reassess your entitlement to Childcare Grant once you give us your childcare provider’s details.

You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, NHS-funded childcare grants or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC.

How's it paid?

Childcare Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. For this to happen you need to register on your course and your university or college confirm that you’re in attendance.

You are responsible for paying your chosen registered childcare provider(s).

Distance learning

If you are studying on a distance learning course, you will not be eligible for CCG.

However, if the course would normally be attended in person but you are unable to do so as a result of a disability or long-term health condition, you can apply for CCG.

Anything else you should know?

You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 50% to qualify for CCG.

We’ll ask you and your childcare provider to confirm your actual costs 3 times during the year.

CCG doesn’t need to be paid back unless you leave your course or there’s a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment

Evidence of your child dependants

If you apply for CCG or PLA you'll need to send in the following evidence:

Evidence of your child dependants

Submit a copy of one of the following:

  • birth certificate for each child
  • certificate of Naturalisation for each child
  • Home Office documentation confirming your children's names and dates of birth

Proof your children are dependent on you

Submit a copy of one of the following:

  • your most recent Tax Credits or Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children
  • all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all children

This same evidence will also be used if you’re claiming Parents’ Learning Allowance

How to apply

To apply you'll need to fill in a paper application form. You can download this from our form finder.

^ Back to top