Proving your household income
If you’re applying for student finance that depends on your household income, we’ll use it to work out how much student finance you can get.
Your household income is:
- your parents’ income, if you’re under 25
- the income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25
- your partner’s income, if you’re independent and you live with them. (If you started your course before 1 August 2018, we’ll only need your partner’s income if you’re 25 or over)
- your spouse’s income, if you’re married
- income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent
We’ll ask them to give us their income details as part of your application. We might ask them to send evidence.
If you’re under 25 and have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years or had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an independent student.