Image of: students and tutor

Parents and Partners

Every eligible student is entitled to a basic level of student finance regardless of their financial circumstances. However, extra financial help may be available if their household income is below a certain amount

You might need to submit information about your income if your child or partner has applied for student finance in Wales.

Find out about supporting your child or partners application for:

Undergraduate Finance

Postgraduate Master's Finance

For more information on how the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak is affecting student finance, visit our dedicated COVID-19 page.

Supporting a new application

If you're supporting your child's application

Your household income is the combined income of:

  • you
  • your child
  • your partner - if you live with them now (even if you weren't living with them during the previous tax year)

If you're supporting your partner's application

Your household income is the combined income of you and your partner (even if you weren't living with them during the previous tax year).

How to submit

Once your child or partner has applied, you'll get an email within 24 hours with a link to submit your information.

You might need to create an account

You must use your own account - you can't use the same account as your child or partner.

Although we recommend applying online, we still have paper applications available if you need one. If you need a paper application please contact us.

What you'll need

You'll need to know the following about a previous tax year:

  • you household's taxable income
  • details of your personal taxable income

The previous tax year will be:

  • 2018 to 2019 if your child or partner is applying for the 2020 to 2021 academic year
  • 2017 to 2018 if your child or partner is applying for the 2019 to 2020 academic year

We recommend that you have your National Insurance number to hand when you're entering your financial information.

You can also submit your details for a more recent tax year if you think your household income will be at least 15% lower than the previous tax year.

What happens next?

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will check that the information you've submitted matches their records. This will usually take up to 2 weeks.

You might be asked to send evidence of:

  • your income - if the details you've submitted don't match HMRC's records
  • your marital status - if you're separated or divorced.

Find out about the different types of evidence you can send in

Student Finance Wales will write to your child or partner when all your information has been confirmed.

Supporting a continuing student

Your child or partner needs to apply for student finance each year.

When they apply, you'll get an email within 24 hours. The email will have a link to log in to your account, where you must submit:

  • your marital status
  • any changes to the information you submitted the previous year
  • your financial information for the previous tax year.

Information on interest and repayment

You can find out important information about interest on student loans and who is responsible for repaying them

Getting permission to access a student's account information

Student Finance Wales cannot discuss any aspect of a student's account or application with anyone other than the student without their permission. This includes parents and partners of students.

If you need to access a student's account information the student will need to give us their consent to share information.

More details about how the student can set this up can found here:

^ Back to top