Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are available if you have a disability, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs are additional funding available for students who otherwise may not have been able to attend a higher education course. You must meet the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.

Who can get DSAs?

You can get DSAs if:

  • you qualify for student finance;
  • you're an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including distance learning students);
  • you're an Open University (OU) student;
  • you're studying an Initial Teacher Training course;
  • you're studying a first higher education course (HND or Dip HE);
  • your condition affects your ability to study and you can provide evidence of this.

How much can you get?

The amount of Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) you get does not depend on your income, or that of your parents or partner, but it does depend on your course intensity.

There is a range of help available:

Allowance:Maximum amount available:
Non-medical helper £15,885 per year
Specialist equipment £5,332 for the whole course
General allowance £1,388 per year
Disability-related travel Reasonable spending on additional travel costs incurred as a result of your condition.

How is it paid?

DSAs will either be paid directly to you or to any equipment or service suppliers.

How to apply and other forms

Step 1 – Tell us about your disability

Fill in the Disabled Students’ Allowances Application Form and return it to us.

These guidance notes provide extra information you need to help you complete the DSA1 form.

Step 2 – Student Finance Wales (SFW) will assess your application

If you qualify for DSAs we will send you a letter to let you know. You’ll then need to arrange a needs assessment.

Step 3 – You should attend a needs assessment

After the needs assessment you’ll receive a report outlining the equipment you’ll need, how much it costs and where to get it.

Step 4 - Student Finance Wales will send you a letter to let you know what DSAs you can get

It’s at this stage you’ll receive a letter from SFW advising if DSAs can pay for any specialist equipment and other support recommended in your needs assessment report. We’ll also give you instructions for ordering equipment or arranging other support.

Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.

^ Back to top