Image of: male student in workshop

Part-time student finance available in 2019/20

Overview of the student finance available to new part-time students starting their course in academic year 2019/20.

All 2019/20 figures are subject to approval by the National Assembly for Wales.

Online applications are expected to be open from late June.

While at university or college you’ll have two main costs – tuition fees and living costs. To help cover these costs, the main types of finance are Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans (which need to be paid back) and grants and bursaries (which don’t). Most students won’t have to pay anything upfront for their course.

What you can get

There are grants and loans available to help you through your course.

Tuition Fee Loan

Part-time students must be studying at a course intensity of 25% or more to be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan.

A Tuition Fee Loan can be taken out to cover the fees and this is paid directly to your university or college. If the tuition fee charged by your university or college is more than the Tuition Fee Loan available, then you’ll have to fund the difference yourself (this may be the case for a privately funded university or college).

Tuition Fee Loan available

Studying at a public university or college in Wales, including Open University


Studying at a public university or college in England, Northern Ireland or Scotland


Studying at a private university or college in England, Northern Ireland or Scotland


The Tuition Fee Loan isn’t based on your household income.

Help with living costs

You can get a mixture of grants and loans to help pay for your living costs such as rent and bills.

The maximum amount of grants and loans available is £5,111.25.

The amounts you can get depends on your household income and your course intensity

Grants don’t usually have to be paid back, but you do have to pay back any loans you borrow.

Childcare Grant

You can receive a Childcare Grant (CCG) of up to 85% of the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered or approved childcare.

You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, Childcare Allowance from the NHS or Tax-Free Childcare from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

The maximum amount of Childcare Grant available is:

  • £121.13 a week for one child;
  • £205.91 a week for two or more children.

You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 50% to qualify for CCG.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) is help with course-related costs if you have dependent children.

The maximum amount of PLA you can get is £1,167.75. The amount of PLA that you can get is based on your course intensity.

You can only apply for PLA if you have one or more children who depend on you, regardless of their age.Adult Dependants’ Grant

You can only apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you. The amount of ADG available to you depends on your income, that of your partner and any other dependants. The amount of ADG that you can get is also based on your course intensity.

The maximum amount of ADG you can get can get is £2,049.

You can only apply for this grant once, even if you have more than one adult who financially depends on you.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available to students to cover the additional study-related costs you may have as a direct result of your disability. DSAs are available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty.


Maximum amount available:

Non- medical helper

£16,853 per year

Specialist equipment

£5,657 for the whole course

General allowance


Disability-related travel

Reasonable spending on additional travel costs incurred as a result of your condition

Bursaries and scholarships

You should check the websites of the universities and colleges you’re applying for to find out about the bursaries and scholarships they offer.

Information about student finance is also available for: 

^ Back to top