Adult Dependants’ Grant

The Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) is extra financial help intended to cover some additional costs you may have with adult dependants.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.

How much can you get?

The maximum amount you can get for Adult Dependants’ Grant is £2,049 per year. This doesn't need to be paid back unless you’ve been overpaid.

You can only apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you.

You can only apply for this grant for one adult dependant. If you have more than one adult dependant you will still only receive the Adult Dependants’ Grant once.

The amount of Adult Dependants' Grant available to you depends on your income, that of your partner and any other dependants. Your entitlement also depends on your course intensity.

Course intensity:Maximum Adult Dependants' Grant available:





75% or more


How is it paid?

Adult Dependants’ Grant is paid directly into your bank account each term.

Before your first payment is made, you’ll need to make sure your university or college complete section 3 of the Part-Time Grants for Dependants (PTGFD) form when you start. Return this and your first payment will be made after the form has been processed.

How to apply?

You need to complete two steps to get Adult Dependants’ Grant.

Step 1 – Complete the main part-time application

The quickest and simplest way to apply is online.

  1. If you don’t already have a Student Finance account, you’ll need to create an account
  2. Login to your Student Finance account and submit your application
  3. Provide us with any necessary evidence
  4. Sign and return the Online Declaration Form

Although we recommend applying online, we still have a paper application available if you need one. Visit our Useful forms page to download forms and guidance notes.

Step 2 – Complete the Part-time Grants for Dependants form

You only need to complete this form once to be assessed for Adult Dependants' Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance

Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.

Grant overpayments

The Adult Dependants’ Grant doesn't need to be paid back unless you’ve been overpaid. This can happen if you leave your course, overestimate your financial commitments or there’s a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

If you’ve been overpaid:

  • during your studies – then any grant overpayment will be deducted from your future grant instalments.
  • after your studies – then you’ll need to repay the overpaid amount of the grant. We’ll contact you to arrange repayment.

^ Back to top