Childcare Grant

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive extra help towards the cost of registered or approved childcare.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.

How much can you get?

The maximum Childcare Grant available will be up to 85% of your actual costs, based on your course intensity.

Course intensityMaximum Childcare Grant if you have one child (per week)Maximum Childcare Grant if you have more than one child (per week)







75% or more



When you apply, if you’re unable to provide details of your childcare provider, your Childcare Grant will be capped at the following level:

Course intensityChildcare Grant cap





75% or more


We’ll reassess your entitlement to Childcare Grant once you give us your childcare provider’s details.

You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, NHS funded childcare grants or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC.

How's it paid?

Childcare Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. For this to happen you need to register on your course and your university or college confirm that you’re in attendance.

You are responsible for paying your chosen registered childcare provider(s).

How to apply?

You need to complete four steps to get Childcare Grant:.

Step 1 – Complete the main part-time application

Please see How to apply for fee support and Course Grant to find out more about completing the main part-time application that’s relevant to your circumstances.

Step 2 – Complete the Part-time Grants for Dependants form

Section 3 of this form must be completed by your university or college when you start your course.

You only need to complete this form once to be assessed for Childcare Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Adult Dependant’s Grant.

Step 3 – Complete the Part-time Childcare Grant form

Remember, it’s important to sign and date these forms and return them with all the required evidence so we can assess your application as quickly as possible.

Step 4 – Confirm your actual childcare costs

At the end of each term, we’ll send you a form to confirm your actual childcare costs. This will help us make sure you’ve been paid the correct amount of Childcare Grant.

Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.

Avoiding a grant overpayment

To avoid a Childcare Grant overpayment, be as accurate as possible completing the PTCCG1 Form. If you overestimate your childcare costs on the form, any overpayment made to you will be deducted from your future payments.

If you’ve left your course, you’ll be expected to repay any grant overpayment. We will contact you to arrange repayment.

Evidence of your child dependants

If you’ve been awarded the Childcare Grant in the last academic year, then as a continuing student you’ll not need to send evidence of your dependant(s) with your application. Evidence will only be required if you have a new dependant you wish to claim for which we are not aware of or you’re a continuing student who is applying for Childcare for the first time.

If you need to return evidence, we’ll need one for each of the following:

  • Evidence of your child dependants
    • original birth certificate for each child
    • original certificate of Naturalisation for each child
    • original Home Office documentation confirming your children's names and dates of birth.
  • Proof your children are dependent on you.
    • your most recent Tax Credits or Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children; or
    • all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all children.

    This same evidence will also be used if you’re claiming the Parents’ Learning Allowance.

^ Back to top