Student finance available in 2019/20

Overview of the student finance available to new full-time students starting their course in academic year 2019/20.

All 2019/20 figures are subject to approval by the National Assembly for Wales.

For updates on how and when to apply for 2019/20 check our Latest News section.

While at university or college you’ll have two main costs – tuition fees and living costs. To help cover these costs, the main types of finance are Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans (which need to be paid back) and grants and bursaries (which don’t).

Most students won’t have to pay anything upfront for their course.

What you can get

There are grants and loans available to help you through your course.

Tuition Fee Loan

Universities and colleges can charge up to a maximum of £9,250 per year in tuition fees.

Tuition Fee Loan available
Studying at public university or college in Wales £9,000
Studying at public university or college in the rest of the UK £9,250
Studying an approved course at a private university or college in the UK £6,165

A Tuition Fee Loan can be taken out to cover the fees and this is paid directly to your university or college. If the tuition fee charged by your university or college is more than the Tuition Fee Loan available, then you’ll have to fund the difference yourself (this may be the case for a privately funded university or college).

The Tuition Fee Loan isn’t based on your household income.

Help with living costs

You can get a mixture of grants and loans to help pay for your living costs such as rent and bills. The amount you can get depends on your household income and where you live and study.

You could get a grant of up to;

  • £10,124 if you’re living away from home and studying in London
  • £8,100 if you’re living away from home outside London or
  • £6,885 if you’re living with your parents.

The amount of grant you’ll get will depend on your household income, but most full-time students will get a grant of at least £1,000. You’ll then get a Maintenance Loan to top you up to the full amount shown in this table.

Household incomeLiving with your parentsLiving away from home, studying outside LondonLiving away from home, studying in London
Grant Maintenance Loan Grant Maintenance Loan Grant Maintenance Loan
£18,370 or less £6,885 £955 £8,100 £1,125 £10,124 £1,406
£25,000 £5,930 £1,910 £6,947 £2,278 £8,643 £2,887
£35,000 £4,488 £3,352 £5,208 £4,017 £6,408 £5,122
£45,000 £3,047 £4,793 £3,469 £5,756 £4,174 £7,356
£59,200 or more £1,000 £6,840 £1,000 £8,225 £1,000 £10,530
Total £7,840 £9,225 £11,530

Grants don’t usually have to be paid back, but you do have to pay back any loans you borrow.

Childcare Grant

You can receive a Childcare Grant (CCG) of up to 85% of the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered or approved childcare. You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, Tax-Free Childcare from HM Revenue & Customs or NHS funded childcare grants.

The maximum amount of Childcare Grant available is:

  • £161.50 a week for one child; or
  • £274.55 a week for two or more children.

Your entitlement to CCG depends on your income, and that of your partner, children and any other dependants.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) is help with course-related costs if you have dependent children.

The maximum amount of PLA you can get as a full-time student is £1,557 per year.

You can only apply for PLA if you have one or more children who depend on you, regardless of their age.

Adult Dependants' Grant

You can only apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you. The amount of ADG available to you depends on your income, that of your partner and any other dependants.

The maximum amount of Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) you can get as a full-time student is £2,732 per year.

You can only apply for this grant once, even if you have more than one adult who financially depends on you.

The income of the adult who is dependent on you must be no more than £3,923.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available to students to cover the additional study-related costs you may have as a direct result of your disability. DSAs are available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty.

Full-time students

Allowance:Maximum amount available:
Non- medical helper £22,472 per year
Specialist equipment £5,657 for the whole course
General allowance £1,894 per year
Disability-related travel Reasonable spending on extra travel costs incurred as a result of your condition

Bursaries and scholarships

You should check the websites of the universities and colleges you’re applying for to find out about the bursaries and scholarships they offer.

Information about student finance is also available for:

^ Back to top