If you’re starting a full-time undergraduate course in academic year 2020 to 2021, you’ll probably have a few questions about student finance. We’re here to answer those questions so you understand what you can get and how to apply.

Can I get student finance?

  • UK national and lived in the UK for the past 3 years
  • Ordinarily live in Wales
  • Studying your first degree

If you meet these criteria, you could be eligible for the full package of support for the duration of your course.

Don’t worry if you don’t meet these criteria, you might still be able to get student finance if you meet our other eligibility criteria.

How much can I get?

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to pay for your tuition fees and a Maintenance Loan to help with your living costs. You can also get a Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG), which you won’t need to pay back.

Your student finance entitlement will be based on where you’re living and studying during term, this means the amount you can get is not based on your household income.

Living with your parents Living away from home and studying outside London Living away from home and studying in London
Maximum maintenance support you can get £8,335 £9,810 £12,260

We only use your household income to work out how much Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant makes up your entitlement. For example, if you’re living with parents during the academic year and your household income is £25,000, your total entitlement will be £8,335. This will be made up of a Maintenance Loan of £2,405 and a Maintenance Grant of £5,930.

Tuition Fee Loan Maintenance support Welsh Government Learning Grant
Up to £9,250 Up to £12,260
Depending on where you live and study
At least £1,000 - Up to £10,124
Depending on household income

Extra help

You can get extra student finance if you have children or adults that are dependent on you financially. These grants do not need to be paid back.

Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA) Childcare Grant (CCG) Adult Dependants' Grant (ADG)
Up to £1,766
Depending on household income
Up to £174.22 per week (for one child only)
Up to £298.69 per week (for 2 or more children)
Depending on household income
Up to £3,094
Depending on household income

Extra help is also available if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or specific learning difficulty. You can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) to help with any additional costs you face as a direct result of your disability.

When can I apply?

Our full-time undergraduate student finance applications are now open.

The easiest way to apply is online – sign in to your account now!.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook  to be the first to know when applications launch.

^ Back to top