Students who Started their Course on or After 1 August 2018
The student eligibility and entitlement information we will cover is based on our current understanding and some policy details could change based on final domicile-specific regulations coming into force.
Most students can get a mixture of grants and loans to help with their living costs.
How much grant you get will depend on your household income, but most full-time students will get a grant of at least £1,000.
If you’re having to study online from home in 2021 to 2022 rather than attending your course on campus at your university or college, you’ll still be entitled to a Maintenance Loan and any grants you qualify for. Your student finance will be paid to you as normal, as if you were studying on site at your university or college.
If your circumstances have changed and you’ll now be living at home with parents rather than in your own accommodation, you’ll need to update your living location details in your online account. You’ll also need to update your application if you were supposed to be studying abroad this year but will now be staying in the UK to study online with your overseas provider.
You need to make sure we have the correct information about where you’ll be living each term, otherwise you may have to repay any funding you have been overpaid. You can update this information by signing in to your online account now.
Welsh Government Learning Grant and Maintenance Loan
Where you're living
Total support available 2021/2022
Living at home with your parents
Living away from home and studying outside London
Living away from home and studying in London
The maximum amount of Maintenance Loan you can get is affected by your household income, and that of your parents or partner.
Special Support Grant
In some circumstances, a Special Support Grant replaces some or all of the Welsh Government Learning Grant. If you’re eligible, you’ll get the first £5,161 of your grant as a Special Support Grant. Anything over this will be a Welsh Government Learning Grant.
The grant doesn’t count as income when working out income-related benefits or Tax Credits.
You may be able to get Special Support Grant if:
- you’re a single parent;
- your partner is also a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child, or a young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level;
- you have a disability and qualify for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium;
- you’re deaf and qualify for Disabled Students' Allowance;
- you have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks;
- you have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
- you’re eligible for Housing Benefit
- you’re eligible for Housing element of Universal Credit
- you’re entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- you’re entitled to Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
- you’re entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- you’re waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended; or
- you’re aged 60 or older.
Grants don’t need to be paid back unless you leave your course or there’s a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment
Maintenance Loan Request Form
If you’ve already applied for student finance, the quickest and easiest way to change the amount of Maintenance Loan you want to borrow is to log in to your online account
Alternatively you can complete and return this form.
- Maintenance Loan Request Form 2021 to 2022 - coming soon!
- Maintenance Loan Request Form 2020 to 2021
Interest on your Maintenance Loan
You’ll be charged interest on your Maintenance Loan from the first day the money is paid into your bank until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled.
You can find out what interest you’ll be charged at www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan.
Welsh partial cancellation of Maintenance Loan
If you take out a Maintenance Loan you could have up to £1,500 cancelled from your student loan balance by the Welsh Government when you start repaying.
To qualify for this you must have taken out a Maintenance Loan through Student Finance Wales in any academic year from 2011/12 to 2021/22.
Once you make your first repayment, we will automatically cancel up to £1,500 off your Maintenance Loan.
You won’t be eligible for partial cancellation if you have any outstanding charges, costs, expenses or penalties in relation to your loan or if you’re in breach of your loan agreement.