Image of: female student

Adult Dependants’ Grant

The student eligibility and entitlement information we will cover is based on our current understanding and some policy details could change based on final domicile-specific regulations coming into force.

The maximum amount of Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) available in 2021/22 is £3,190 per year. You can only apply for ADG if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you.

From 2021 to 2022 onwards, students whose courses started on or after 1 August 2018, and are under 25 with a dependent, co-habiting partner are also eligible to apply for ADG.

You can only apply for this grant for one adult dependant. If you have more than one adult dependant you can still only receive ADG once.

The amount of ADG available to you depends on your income and that of your partner and any other dependants. If the adult dependent isn't your husband, wife, partner or civil partner and they have a net annual income of more than £3,923, you can't get Adult Dependants' Grant.

Evidence you'll need to send:

  • a marriage certificate (if you're under 25 and claiming for a spouse)
  • a letter explaining why the adult is dependent on you
  • a P60 showing their earnings.

Does it need to be paid back?

No, unless you leave your course or there's a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

Grant overpayment during your studies

If you're continuing on the same course any grant overpayment will be deducted from future grant instalments.

Grant overpayment after your studies

If you've left your course, you'll need to repay the grant overpayment. We'll contact you to arrange repayment.

How is it paid?

ADG is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. This will only happen after you've registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college.

Anything else you should know?

If you're applying for Childcare Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance or ADG and your child or adult dependant's income has dropped by at least 15% since the tax year being asked for on the application, you can ask for their income to be assessed based on the current tax year.

If you have completed your student finance application, and now want to apply for an ADG, Parents' Learning Allowance and/or Childcare Grant you should complete the application for Dependants' Grants form below.

If you're applying for CCG you also need to complete a Childcare Grant Form.

^ Back to top