Household income

Proving your household income

If you’re applying for student finance that depends on your household income, we’ll use it to work out how much student finance you can get.

Your household income is:

  • your parents’ income, if you’re under 25
  • the income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25
  • your partner’s income, if you’re independent and you live with them. (If you started your course before 1 August 2018, we’ll only need your partner’s income if you’re 25 or over)
  • your spouse’s income, if you’re married
  • income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent

We’ll ask them to give us details to allow us to calculate your household income. We don’t need any evidence as we’ll check their income with HMRC.

Evidence should only be sent if they have overseas income or have estimated their income for a Current Year Income (CYI) assessment. We’ll contact you if we need further evidence.

If you’re under 25 and have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years or had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an independent student.