Tuition Fees

New part-time students, including Open University (OU) and distance learning students, who start their course on or after 1 September 2014 can get help to cover the costs of their tuition fees.

New eligible students who start a part-time course on or after 1 August 2018:

  • at a university or college in Wales can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £2,625, whether they’re at publicly-funded or privately-funded university or college
  • at a publicly-funded university/college elsewhere in the UK can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,935
  • attending a private university/college elsewhere in the UK, can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £4,625.

The amount of Tuition Fee Loan a student can get depends on how much their university or college charges.

If the tuition fee being charged by the university or college is more than the Tuition Fee Loan available, the student will have to pay the difference themselves.

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid in 3 instalments. We make the payments directly to their university or college after we receive confirmation that they're in attendance on their course.

Students must be studying at a course intensity of at least 25% to get a Tuition Fee Loan.

If the student has been accepted on the ERASMUS exchange programme, they won't be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Students are charged interest on their Tuition Fee Loan from the first day the money is paid to their university or college until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled. For more information on interest and how and when student loans are repaid visit Repaying student loans

Students can work out their course intensity by taking the number of part-time units (such as credits, credit points or modules) they’re studying in the academic year and dividing it by the number of units they’d complete doing the course full-time. This is then multiplied by 100 to give the course intensity for their period of study as a percentage:

(Part-time units / Full-time units) x 100 = Course intensity (%)

If they’re not sure what their course intensity is, the student should check with their university or college.

Online applications are expected to be open from late June.

^ Back to top