Whether a student can get student finance depends on their:

  • personal circumstances
  • course
  • university or college

Nationality and residency

They’ll be able to get student finance if all of the following apply:

  • they’re a UK national or have settled status (meaning there are no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK)
  • they normally live in Wales
  • they’ve been living in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of their course

They might still be able to get student finance if they’re:

  • an EU national, or a relative of one
  • a refugee, or a relative of one
  • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection
  • an EEA/Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
  • granted Discretionary Leave to remain in the UK, or a relative of someone granted Discretionary Leave to remain in the UK
  • granted leave to remain on the grounds of family or private life
  • granted leave to remain outside the Immigration Rules
  • the child of a Swiss national
  • the child of a Turkish worker
  • a stateless person, or the family member of one
  • granted leave to remain (or enter and remain depending on domicile) under section 67 of the immigration Act 2016 or are the dependent child of someone who has

If a student is unable to be in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of their course, they’ll be considered as ‘temporarily absent’. They’ll still be eligible for student finance so long as they meet all other eligibility criteria.

This exception has only been put in place due to the restrictions caused by COVID-19, they should travel to the UK to attend their course once it is safe to do so.

Previous study

Students can usually only get student finance for their first higher education qualification. If they’ve already studied a higher education course in the UK, they might not get help for a second course.

They can have a maximum of 16 years of part-time funding. Anything over this amount will have to be self-funded by the student.

Students studying a second degree as a part-time undergraduate can get funding for the following courses:

  • Subjects Allied to Medicine
  • Biological and Sport Science
  • Psychology
  • Veterinary Sciences
  • Agricultural, food and related sciences
  • Physical Sciences
  • Mathematical Sciences
  • Engineering and Technology
  • Computing
  • Welsh language


The course they plan to study must be in the UK and one of the following:

  • first degree, for example a BA, BSc or BEd
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Master’s
  • Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate

If they’re not sure whether their course qualifies for student finance, they should check with their university or college.

University or college

The university or college must be in the UK and either:

  • publicly funded (paid for by the government)
  • privately funded but running individual courses that are approved for funding by the Welsh Government.

^ Back to top