Your privacy is important to us. We may need to handle personal information about you so that we can provide services to you. This charter is intended to give you confidence in the security of that information by explaining what we do with it.
If we ask you for personal information, we promise:
- to tell you why we need it and what we intend to do with it;
- to process your personal information in accordance with applicable data protection legislation;
- to only ask for what we need;
- to look after it and make sure it’s only accessible to those with a genuine need to see it;
- to let you know where information is shared between organisations to give you better services - and to give you the opportunity to say no to this where we can;
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary; and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information; and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime, or where we are required to do so by a relevant authority;
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information;
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date; and
- how to make a complaint about how we hold or use your information.
For further details about the way your information is used, who is responsible for it and the rights you have in connection with it, please refer to the SLC Privacy Notice
The Student Loans Company Limited, together with the Department for Education, and partner organisations, has signed up to these shared principles for handling your information.
For more information, contact:
Data Protection Officer
Student Loans Company Ltd
100 Bothwell Street
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at:
Phone: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 745
Fax: 0162 552 4510