Taking a Break or Withdrawing

Policy changes for academic year 2019 to 2020 are subject to regulatory approval by the Welsh Assembly

If a student decides to take a break or withdraw from their studies, they need to let us know as soon as possible. They should also ask their university or college to tell us.

We’ll then stop their loan and grant payments.

If their university or college has agreed that they can take a break from their course, their payments will start again when they return. The student’s grant entitlement when they return from suspension will likely be reduced. The new amount will be proportionate to the time they spent on the course.

However, if they take a break for 2 years or more during their course, they’ll only get further payments if they can show they had compelling personal reasons, such as an illness or bereavement.

They’d need to send us evidence of their situation, such as a letter from a medical professional. Each case will be assessed on an individual basis.

If they’ve been paid too much

If the student has left their course early, they might have been overpaid.

Usually, we’ll just take the overpaid amount from any future payments they’re due. For example, if they’re overpaid by £300 and are due a future payment of £1,000, we’ll pay them £700 instead.

They might have to repay the amount they’ve been overpaid early and, in this case, the repayment threshold won’t apply.

^ Back to top