How and When to Apply

Policy changes for academic year 2019 to 2020 are subject to regulatory approval by the Welsh Assembly.

Students only need to apply for their Postgraduate Doctoral Loan as the application and funding is for the duration of their course. If they're studying a Postgraduate Doctoral Course over 3 or more academic years, they'll get a letter each year confirming their payments for the upcoming academic year.

Online application

The quickest way for a student to apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan is online at

If they've applied for student finance from us in the past, they should use their existing login information.

We welcome Welsh correspondence and calls. This won't lead to a delay in our response.

Paper application form

If they can't apply online, they should download a paper form at

They should be advised to download the application notes with the application form to prevent any missing information or evidence delaying their application.

When to apply

They should apply as soon as possible so that we've got plenty of time to review their application. We'll contact them if we need any further information and/or evidence.

Missing information or evidence

If an application is submitted without all the information and/or evidence we need, we'll contact them to remind them to send this as soon as they can. We won't make any payments to them until we have all the information and evidence we need.

They can check if there is any outstanding information and/or evidence by logging into their online account at

Application deadline

They must apply no more than 9 months after the first day of the last year of their academic course.

Additional forms

In some cases they may have to complete additional forms to give further information about their application or personal details. These can be found at


When they apply, they'll be asked for some evidence and/or information to support their application. In most cases, they can easily provide everything we need by filling in the details on their application. By giving us their valid UK passport details when they apply, we can automatically check their identity so they won't have to send us their passport. If they don't have a valid UK passport, they'll have to send us their UK birth or adoption certificate or non-UK passport. The UK birth or adoption certificate must be sent to us along with a Birth or Adoption Certificate Form which can be downloaded online.

We can also accept from EU students an original valid national identity card as a form of ID.

Any identity evidence we ask for must be originals, not photocopies. We'll send them back as soon as possible.

They should remember to include their Customer Reference Number with everything they send to us.

In some circumstances, they may be asked to send us additional information and/or evidence, for example, evidence of any previous addresses or documents from the Home Office. Their application isn't complete until we have everything we need.

They should send us any evidence we ask for as soon as possible to ensure their money is paid in time for the start of their course.

^ Back to top