Image of: female students


What evidence do parents or partners send in?

Usually, you won't have to send us any evidence if you've given us your National Insurance number and we've checked your income with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). However in some cases we may ask you to send us specific evidence such as:

  • earned income, such as income from salary or wages
  • unearned income, such as income from savings and investments
  • allowable deductions such as private pension payments and additional voluntary contributions.

Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to give evidence of:

    • divorce or separation
    • dependent children
    • estimated financial commitments, such as rent and mortgage payments, and life insurance. Utility bills and food don’t count as financial commitments for student finance purposes.

We welcome Welsh correspondence and calls. This won’t lead to a delay in our response.

Evidence of earned income

If you're asked to send evidence of earned income this can include copies of one of the following:

  • P60 (covering the correct tax year)
  • payslips (month 12 or week 53 payslip covering the correct tax year)
  • tax return.

Evidence from unearned income

Unearned income includes:

  • interest from saving (only the annual summary is required)
  • benefits
  • pensions
  • rent from property or a room.

If you're asked to send evidence of unearned income this can include copies of the following:

  • self assessment tax return
  • statements showing interest or investments
  • income details from an accountant
  • pension book or letter
  • P60s
  • benefit book (first three pages) or official letter.

Evidence if you're divorced or separated

If you're divorced or separated, you need to submit a copy of one of the following:

  • divorce - Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute. The surname must match what is on the application form. If not, then a change of name deed, from a solicitor is also required;
  • dissolution of a civil partnership - civil partnership dissolution order;
  • confirmation from a solicitor of your marital status; or
  • Council Tax bill showing the 25 per cent discount for single occupancy (as evidence that you’re now separated).

If you’re married or living with a partner you don't need to send evidence of this.

^ Back to top