Image of: male student

New Students

Support available in 2020/21

Maximum you can be charged

Tuition Fee Loan available

Studying at a public university or college in Wales



Studying at a private university or college in Wales on a course designated by the Welsh Government

No restrictions


COVID-19 update

If you’re unable to be in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of your course, you’ll be considered as ‘temporarily absent’. You’ll still be eligible for student finance so long as you meet all other eligibility criteria.

This exception has only been put in place due to the restrictions caused by COVID-19, you should travel to the UK to attend your course once it is safe to do so.

Interest on your Tuition Fee Loan

You’ll be charged interest on your Tuition Fee Loan from the first day the money is paid to your university or college until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled.

You can find out what interest you'll be charged at

How is it paid?

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid in 3 instalments directly to your university or college.

Anything else you should know?

The Tuition Fee Loan isn't income assessed, which means that your entitlement for these won’t be calculated based on your household income.

If you withdraw from university or college after attending on the first day of term, you may be liable to pay some of your fees. If you need to discuss this further, you can contact your university or college.

Student loans: terms and conditions

For information about how loans are repaid and when and how you start repaying them, see the terms and conditions.

Bursaries and scholarships

You may be able to get extra help through educational grants and charitable trusts.

^ Back to top