Complaints and appeals

We very much hope that you are satisfied with the service you've received. However, we do recognise that from time to time things can go wrong. If you’ve tried phoning us to sort this out but still feel we haven't been able to resolve your issue you may wish to use our formal complaints handling service.

A complaint is where you are not satisfied with our products or services, and you want us to solve the problem. A complaint is not an appeal against our decision on whether you are entitled to financial help.

Please note that you shouldn’t raise a complaint if you have a general account enquiry, or if you’re having problems with the online application. If you have a general enquiry please contact Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050.

Postgraduate Loan customers can contact us about general enquires on 0300 100 0494.

We welcome Welsh correspondence and calls. This won’t lead to a delay in our response.

Our formal complaints procedure is set out in the document below:

You can make a formal complaint by:


If you would like to make a complaint via telephone, please call:

  • 0300 100 0601


If you would like to make a complaint via email, please contact us at:


If you would like to make a complaint in writing, please send a letter to us at:

Complaints Resolution Unit
Student Loans Company Limited
100 Bothwell Street
G2 7JD

What we will do

Our dedicated team will investigate your complaint and provide a response within 15 working days of receipt. If we are experiencing any delay we will keep you informed.

We aim to resolve all complaints in our response but if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation you can ask for a Head of Service to review your complaint. Please confirm why you remain dissatisfied to help us resolve any outstanding issues you may have. The Head of Service will respond in writing within 15 working days of this request.

If you are not satisfied with the response from the Head of Service and your complaint remains unresolved you can ask for it to be escalated to an Independent Assessor. Independent reviews are carried out by one of the Independent Assessors appointed by the Department for Education.

Full details of our complaints procedure can be found in the above attached 'How to make a Complaint' leaflet.


An appeal is a formal request to review our decision on whether you are entitled to financial help. An appeal should relate to decisions or actions based on how we interpret the law or regulations (for example, on whether you are entitled to financial support or how much finance you are entitled to).

In all other cases, you should follow the complaints process.

Appealing against a decision by Student Finance Wales in regards to funding

^ Back to top