Course Grant

If you’re a new part-time or a part-time distance learning student (including the Open University) you could get a Course Grant to help with course related costs such as books and travel. The Course Grant doesn’t need to be paid back.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.

How much can you get?

You could get a Course Grant of up to £1,155.

How much you get is based on your income (and your partner’s income if applicable):

Household IncomeAmount of Course Grant
Less than £26,095 Maximum Course Grant of £1,155
£26,095 to £28,180 Partial Course Grant (at least £50)
More than £28,180 No Course Grant

You must also be studying at an average course intensity of at least 50% to get a Course Grant

How’s it paid?

The Course Grant is paid in one lump sum directly into your bank account at the start of term. For this to happen you need to register on your course and your university or college confirm that you’re in attendance.

How to apply

New students in 2017/18

The quickest and simplest way to apply is online.

There are four steps to applying online:

  1. If you don’t already have a Student Finance account, you’ll need to create an account
  2. Login to your Student Finance account and submit your application
  3. Provide us with any necessary evidence
  4. Sign and return the Online Declaration Form

Although we recommend applying online, we still have a paper application available if you need one. Visit our Useful forms page to download forms and guidance notes.

New students in 2016/17

If you’ve applied online for the Tuition Fee Loan, and indicated that you’d like to apply for the Course Grant, you can download a Course Grant application from your online account.

Alternatively, you can apply for the Course Grant by completing the following form:

Other forms

If you or your partner receive certain state benefits and are unable to send evidence to confirm these with your application, you’ll also need to complete this form:

If you need to tell us about any change in your circumstances through the year, for example a change in your course or the university or college you’re attending, you’ll need to complete this form:

^ Back to top