Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are available if you have a disability, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs are additional funding available for students who otherwise may not have been able to attend a higher education course. You must meet the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply and other forms.

Who can get DSAs?

You can get DSAs if:

  • you qualify for student finance;
  • you're an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including distance learning students);
  • you're an Open University (OU) student;
  • you're studying an Initial Teacher Training course;
  • you're studying a first higher education course (HND or Dip HE);
  • your condition affects your ability to study and you can provide evidence of this.

How much can you get?

The amount of Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) you get does not depend on your income, or that of your parents or partner, but it does depend on your course intensity. There is a range of help available:

Allowance:Maximum amount available:
Non-medical helper allowance £15,885 per year
Specialist equipment allowance £5,332 for the whole course
General allowance (for other disability-related expenditure) £1,388 per year
Disability-related travel allowance Reasonable spending on additional travel costs incurred as a result of the student's condition.

How is it paid?

DSAs will either be paid directly to you or to any equipment or service suppliers.

How to apply and other forms

To apply for Disabled Students' Allowance you'll need to complete the;

After completing and returning this we’ll then:

  1. Assess your application – to see if you qualify for DSAs and send you a letter to confirm this. If you qualify, you’ll need to arrange a Study Needs Assessment. Information about this will be provided in your letter.
  2. Ask you to attend a Study Needs Assessment – after this you’ll receive a report outlining the equipment you’ll need, how much it costs and where to get it.
  3. Send a letter to let you know what DSAs you can get – this will confirm if DSAs can pay for any specialist equipment and other support recommended in your Study Needs Assessment report. You’ll also receive instructions for ordering equipment or arranging other support.

You may also need to claim for certain expenses which you’ll be advised about in your assessment. If you need to make a claim, complete the:

Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.

^ Back to top