Childcare Grant

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive extra help towards the cost of registered or approved childcare.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.

How much can you get?

The maximum Childcare Grant available will be up to 85% of your actual costs, based on your course intensity.
Course intensity is how long it takes you to complete your part-time course compared to an equivalent full-time course. You should check this with your university or college each year.

Course intensityMaximum Childcare Grant if you have one child (per week)Maximum Childcare Grant if you have more than one child (per week)







75% or more




Here’s an example showing weekly amounts (actual payments are made each term):

Number of childrenYour weekly childcare cost85% of your actual costYour course intensityChildcare Grant available:














75% or more


You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, NHS funded childcare grants or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC.

How's it paid?

Childcare Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. For this to happen you need to register on your course and your university or college confirm that you’re in attendance.
You need to ensure that you pay your chosen registered childcare provider(s).
If you’re unable to provide details of your childcare provider at this stage, then your Childcare Grant will be capped at the following:

Course intensityChildcare Grant cap





75% or more


This cap amount will be reassessed after you provide your childcare provider’s details.

How to apply?

To apply for Childcare you need to complete three forms:

  1. Tuition Fee Loan and Course Grant application form (PTL1) (PDF 842kB)
    PTL1 application notes (PDF 662kB)
  2. Part Time Grants for Dependants (PTGFD) (PDF 657kB)
  3. Application for help with childcare costs (PTCCG1) 2016/17 (PDF 525kB)

At the end of each term, we’ll ask you to fill in a Confirmation of childcare payments (PTCCG2) form. This will help us make sure you’ve been paid the correct amount of Childcare Grant and not been overpaid. It’s at this stage you’ll need to provide the actual costs of your childcare.
Remember, it’s important to sign and date the PTCCG1 form and include evidence of your child dependants.

Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.

Avoiding a grant overpayment

To avoid a Childcare Grant overpayment, be as accurate as possible completing the PTCCG1 Form. Although these are estimates for the start of term, if these are overestimated, then any overpayment will be deducted from future payments.
If you’ve left your course, you’ll be expected to repay any grant overpayment. We will contact you to arrange repayment.

Evidence of your child dependants

We’ll need to have one piece of evidence for each of the following:

    • Evidence of your child dependants
      • original birth certificate for each child
      • original certificate of Naturalisation for each child
      • original Home Office documentation confirming your children's names and dates of birth.

  • Proof your children are dependent on you
    • your most recent Tax Credits or Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children; or
    • all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all children.

This same evidence will also be used if you’re claiming the Parents’ Learning Allowance.

^ Back to top