Adult Dependants’ Grant

The Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) is extra financial help intended to cover some additional costs you may have with adult dependant.

Continue reading for more information or go straight to how to apply.


How much can you get?

The maximum amount you can get for Adult Dependants’ Grant is £2,049 per year. This doesn't need to be paid back unless you’ve been overpaid.

You can only apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you.

You can only apply for this grant for one adult dependant. If you have more than one adult dependant you will still only receive the Adult Dependants’ Grant once.

The amount of Adult Dependants' Grant available to you depends on your income, that of your partner and any other dependants. Your entitlement also depends on your course intensity.


Course intensity:Maximum Adult Dependants' Grant available:





75% or more



How is it paid?

Adult Dependants’ Grant is paid directly into your bank account each term.

Before your first payment is made, you’ll need to make sure your university or college complete section 3 of the Part-Time Grants for Dependants (PTGFD) form when you start. Return this and your first payment will be made after the form has been processed.


How to apply?

To apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant you need to complete two forms:

  1. Tuition Fee Loan and Course Grant application form 2015/16 (PTL1) (PDF 752KB)
    PTL1 application notes
  2. Part-Time Grants for Dependants 2015/16 (PTGFD) (PDF 618KB) 

You will also need to supply the following evidence:

  • A marriage certificate (if you’re under 25 and claiming for a spouse).
  • A letter explaining why the adult is dependent on you.
  • A P60 showing their earnings.

Section 3 of the PTGFD form must be completed by your university or college when you start your course. You can either return it:

  • as part of the PTGFD if you’re about to start; or
  • separately from the PTGFD if you’re applying before your course starts (this allows your application to be progressed).

When this has been processed you’ll be issued with a new assessment. 

You only need to complete the PTGFD once, to be assessed for both Adult Dependants’ Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance. It must also be completed if you intend to apply for support with childcare costs


Where to send your application

You should send all forms and supporting documentation to Student Finance Wales.


Grant overpayments

The Adult Dependants’ Grant  doesn't need to be paid back unless you’ve been overpaid.  This can happen if you leave your course, overestimate your financial commitments or there’s a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

If you’ve been overpaid:

  • during your studies – then any grant overpayment will be deducted from your future grant instalments.
  • after your studies – then you’ll need to repay the overpaid amount of the grant.  We’ll contact you to arrange repayment.

^ Back to top