Image of: male students outside

Adult Dependants’ Grant

The maximum amount of Adult Dependants’ Grant available in 2016/17 and 2017/18 is £2,732 per year. You can only apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you.

Ask SFW about Adult Dependants' Grant

Find out about the extra help available to students who have an adult who depends on them financially.

You can only apply for this grant for one adult dependant. If you have more than one adult dependant you can still only receive Adult Dependants’ Grant once.

The amount of Adult Dependants' Grant available to you depends on your income, that of your partner and any other dependants. If the adult dependent isn't your husband, wife, partner or civil partner and they have a net annual income of more than £3,923, you can't get Adult Dependants' Grant.

Evidence you will need to send:

  • a marriage certificate (if you’re under 25 and claiming for a spouse)
  • a letter explaining why the adult is dependent on you
  • a P60 showing their earnings.

For more information, download this guide.

We’ve also produced a quick guide for students that have children or adult dependants.

Does it need to be paid back?

No, unless you leave your course or there’s a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

How is it paid?

Adult Dependants' Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. This will only happen after you’ve registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college.

Anything else you should know?

If you’re applying for Childcare Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance or Adult Dependants’ Grant and your child or adult dependant’s income has dropped by at least 15% since the tax year being asked for on the application, you can ask for their income to be assessed based on the current tax year.

If you have completed your student finance application, and now want to apply for an Adult Dependants' Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance and/or Childcare Grant you should complete the application for Dependants' Grants form below.

If you're applying for Childcare Grant you also need to complete a Childcare Grant form.

^ Back to top