Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college you’ll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.
Find out if your qualify for student finance.
- Where you live (your nationality and residency status)
- Your course
- Your university or college
- Your age
Where you live (your nationality and residency status)
You can apply if you meet all of the following three conditions:
- you're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay);
- you normally live in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually before 1 September); and
- you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.
If you don't meet all three conditions, you can still apply for support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:
- you're an EU national, or family member of an EU national;
- you're a refugee;
- you're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum);
- you're a migrant worker;
- you're a child of a Swiss national; or
- you're a child of a Turkish worker
You must also normally be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course.
Your course must lead to a qualification in one of the following:
- First Degree eg Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
- Foundation Degree
- Certificate of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- Higher National Certificate (HNC)
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Initial Teacher Education (ITE).
Your university or college
Your university or college must be:
·publicly funded (paid for by the government), or
·privately funded but running individual courses that are approved for funding by the Welsh Government.
Private universities and colleges can set their own tuition fee level and there is no restriction on the amount they can charge. A course at a private university or college needs to have been specifically designated by the Welsh Government for you to be able to get student finance.
To qualify for a Maintenance Loan you need to be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course.
There's no upper age limit to qualify for grants or a Tuition Fee Loan.
The rules around eligibility can be complex, so if you’re not sure if you qualify, you can contact us