Previous study

Previous study rules for new part-time students starting a course on or after 1 September 2014.

Any previous full-time support a student applied for and received as well as part-time support which was applied for but not taken, will not count as previous study.

Previous study rule:

Number of years previous study + new course length at 25% intensity = XX years.

If the figure is under sixteen years, then the student will receive full support for the duration of their course. For every year they are over this, they will have to self fund the final year(s).

As an example: A student starts a part-time course in September. This would have taken four years to complete full-time, but will take sixteen as they’re going to study at a course intensity of 25%. However, the student has four years of previous part-time study on another course before they withdrew.

Therefore the student can receive part-time tuition support for up to a maximum of twelve years (16 – 4 = 12) should they study at a 25% intensity for the duration of the course. The student will need to self fund the last four years of the course. To receive funding for the full duration of their course, they would need to complete the course or some academic years at a higher level of intensity to compensate.

Compelling personal reasons

If the student has compelling personal reasons as to why they didn’t complete their previous course then they could be entitled to further funding on these grounds. They must be able to provide evidence of this.

Depending on their circumstances this may be:

  • medical evidence from their GP;
  • evidence from Social Services; or
  • evidence from the student advisory service at their university or college that substantiates their personal or family crisis.

It’s important that students are advised to contact the student advisory service at the university or college if they feel they are not coping with the course before withdrawing from their course. Evidence should be recorded at the time of the withdrawal as it may need to be submitted to Student Finance Wales if the student starts a new course at another institution.

^ Back to top