Image of: male students at booth

Tuition fee support

Students who study at a publicly-funded university or college can be charged a maximum of £9,000.

A Tuition Fee Loan can be taken out to cover the first £3,810 of tuition fees. However if your university or college charges more than this, you can apply for a Fee Grant of up to £5,190 to cover the difference.

You can choose to take the Fee Grant only but you’ll need to pay the first £3,810 directly to the university or college yourself.

There are no restrictions on the amount private universities or colleges can charge. If your chosen course is ‘designated’ by the Welsh Government you can apply for a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of £6,000 but you won’t be eligible for a Fee Grant.

If you have served four years or more in the armed forces and are leaving, you may be eligible for fee support under the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme. For further information visit

Tuition Fee Loan Request Form

If you’ve already applied for student finance, the quickest and easiest way to change the amount of Tuition Fee Loan you want to borrow is to log in to your online account.

Alternatively you can complete and return this form.

Interest on your Tuition Fee Loan

You’ll be charged interest on your Tuition Fee Loan from the first day the money is paid to your university or college until the loan is repaid in full or written off.

You can find out what interest you’ll be charged by visiting Student Loan Repayment website.

How is it paid?

Both the Tuition Fee Loan and Fee Grant are paid directly to your university or college.

Anything else you should know?

The Tuition Fee Loan and Fee Grant aren’t income assessed, which means that your entitlement for these doesn’t depend on your household income.

If you withdraw from university or college after attending on the first day of term, you may be liable to pay some of your fees. If you need to discuss this further, contact your university or college.

^ Back to top