Image of: two male students in booth

Postgraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT) and Social Work

Find out what help is available to ITT and Social Work students.

Postgraduate Initial Teacher Training

If you’re starting a new full-time postgraduate ITT course in academic year 2015/16, you may be eligible to apply for both tuition fee support (see Tuition Fee Support) and a Welsh Government Learning Grant (maintenance grant) and maintenance loan (see Living Costs).

You may also be eligible to receive certain ITT incentives (ask your university about these).

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty.

For more information, download this guide to Disabled Students’ Allowances:

Social Work Bursary

The Care Council for Wales manages the Social Work Bursary Scheme for students studying approved undergraduate degree or Masters degree courses in Social Work. Students studying an approved Masters degree course in Social Work can also receive an additional income assessed bursary. If you need further information about eligibility for the Social Work Bursary, you can contact the Student Funding Team, Care Council.

Contact details for the Student Funding Team, Care Council:

Phone: 0845 070 0249
Minicom: 02920 780 680
Fax: 02920 780 674

If you’re studying an approved undergraduate degree as a second degree, you’ll only be eligible for a Maintenance Loan. However, if you’re studying a Masters degree you won’t be eligible for student support from Student Finance Wales.

^ Back to top