New to EMA in 2016/17
If you’re new to EMA, the Little Book of EMA contains everything you need to know.
To ensure you get paid on time please use the guidance notes to complete your application. You can download the form and guidance notes here:
You’ll need to send in evidence of your nationality with your completed application. Information about what you need to send is in this section:
If your application is approved for academic year 2016/17, we may write to your parent(s)/guardian(s) and ask them to send us original financial evidence to support the information they provided on your application. We will accept one of the following evidence items:
- Tax credit award notification (TCAN)
- Child Benefit letter
- a letter from an official organisation (such as a bank) showing that your address is the same as the sponsor listed on your application
June 2016 - Send your completed EMA application with original evidence
31 August 2017 - The final date we can accept your application information and any evidence from you to be eligible for EMA in academic year 2016/17
8 weeks - To be eligible for backdated payments you must apply within 8 weeks of the start of your course
What Happens Next
- Completed EMA application returned with evidence
- Application assessed and award letter sent*
- EMA agreement signed with school or college
- School or college confirm you’ve been in attendance
- EMA paid into your bank or building society account
*If further evidence or information is required we will contact you before you get your award letter
Completed applications can be sent to the address below
EMA Wales Customer Services
PO Box 5596
Got EMA last year?
If you got EMA last year and you’re continuing with your studies in academic year in 2016/17, we’ll send you a letter to let you know if you’re eligible for EMA. If you’ve not received this by the end of June 2016, please call the customer service team on 0300 200 4050.