Image of: girl at worktop

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) 2018/19

EMA is for 16 to 18 year olds living in Wales, who want to continue their education after school leaving age.

There are four main things that determine if you can get EMA:

  • Your date of birth
  • Your course
  • Your household income
  • Your nationality and residency status

Your date of birth

You must be 16-18 years old on 31 August 2018.

Your course

You must be studying at a participating school or college on an eligible course that is:

  • An academic or vocational course up to and including Level 3; and
  • Full-time at school; or
  • A minimum of 12 guided hours at college.

You don’t need to study in Wales to get EMA. As long as you live in Wales and your school/college is participating in the scheme, you can apply for EMA.

Your household income

Your household income must be below a certain level for you to be able to receive EMA. There are two different levels, depending on your family circumstances.

Household IncomeNumber of Dependent ChildrenAward
£0-£20,817 1 £30
£20,818+ 1 £0
£0-£23,077 2+ £30

If your household income is £23,078 or more you won’t be eligible for EMA.

Your nationality and residency status

If you are a UK citizen living in Wales, you should be eligible for EMA. If you're not a UK citizen you may still be eligible for EMA. If you complete the application form and return it to us we'll let you know whether or not you are eligible.

How much can I get?

If you’re new to EMA in 2018/19 you could get £30 a week, paid every two weeks, depending on your household income.

EMA 2018/19 application forms will be available to download or to pick up in schools and colleges from end of April 2018.

^ Back to top