Image of: students in workshop

Postgraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT) and Social Work

Find out what help is available to ITT and Social Work students.

Postgraduate Initial Teacher Training

If you’re continuing on a full-time postgraduate ITT course in academic year 2016/17, depending on your household income, you may be eligible to receive a Welsh Government Learning Grant of up to £5,161 (see living costs).

You may also be eligible to receive certain ITT incentives (ask your university about these).

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty.

For more information, download this guide to Disabled Students’ Allowances:

Social Work Bursary

The Care Council for Wales manages the Social Work Bursary Scheme for students studying approved undergraduate degree or Masters degree courses in Social Work.

Students studying an approved Masters degree course in Social Work can also receive an additional income assessed bursary.

If you need further information about eligibility for the Social Work Bursary, you can contact the Student Funding Team, Care Council.

Contact details for the Student Funding Team, Care Council:

Phone: 0845 070 0249

Minicom: 02920 780 680

Fax: 02920 780 674



If you’re studying an approved undergraduate degree as a second degree, you’ll only be eligible for a Maintenance Loan. However, if you’re studying a Masters degree you won’t be eligible for student support from Student Finance Wales.

^ Back to top